Providing direct and peer support services since we opened our doors
Center Support includes:
- LGBTQ Friendly Resources and Referrals
- Center Counseling Services
- Healthcare Enrollment Program
- Peer Support Groups
- Rainbow Cafe
- Recovery Groups hosted at the Center
The Pride Center of the Capital Region is your Center for all the info you need on being queer in the Capital Region. Whether you’re in need of a LGBTQ friendly therapist, lawyer or wedding officiant, you can find it, and much more!
Since the Pride Center opened our doors over 40 years ago, we have been the place for the Capital Region’s LGBTQ community to get connected to everything. You can access information about; Legal resources, Trans resources, Substance abuse recovery, Education and training, Support groups, Religious/spiritual resources, Doctors, Wedding resources, Employment, Advocacy, Housing/homelessness, Social and dating, Family services, and much more!
For more information, or to have your questions answered now:
Reach out! Referrals are available by phone Monday-Friday between 9am and 5pm. After hours, please leave a message and someone will return your call. Our number is 518.462.6138. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Center Counseling Services
Center Counseling services are offered through a partnership between the Pride Center and the State University of New York at Albany School of Social Welfare program. Low cost counseling is offered under the clinical supervision of Arlene Istar Lev., LCSW, CASAC.
Counseling services are offered to address issues such as:
Relationship and couple issues, family and parenting issues, healing trauma and abuse, sexual orientation and gender identity, depression and anxiety, addictions and recovery, living with HIV and chronic illness.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a counselor, call 518.462.6138×12 or email email@example.com.
Working to enroll our community in a quality healthcare plan
We can help you enroll in private or public health insurance. Contact the Pride Center to schedule a time to sign up for a healthcare plan. We have staff that are specially trained to help you sign up for a healthcare plan under the Affordable Care Act. We can help take the stress out of finding affordable healthcare. To make the enrollment process easier for you, here are some suggestions:
Information You Will Need
To help you obtain health coverage through the New York State of Health, please be prepared to provide the following information about each member in your household:
- Social Security number
- Birth date
- Tax filing status
- Whether you file taxes and who you claim as a dependent, if anyone
- Income information
- It might be helpful to bring last’s year tax returns for everyone in the household, paystubs, W2 forms, if you are self-employed, a record of last three months earnings and expenses, or other information about your family’s income.
- The name and address of your current employer
- Any unemployment income information
- Policy and member numbers for any current health coverage you have
- Information about any health coverage from a job that’s available to you or your family
- If applicable, immigration (“Alien”) number for immigrant family members (e.g. Green Card number, employment authorization number)
Choosing a Health Plan
In order to help you select the right health insurance plan for you and your family members, it would be helpful if you could make a note of the following information about your health care needs before coming to see us.
- The name of the family doctor, or primary care physician, pediatrician for all household members
- The name of any specialist doctors or providers used by members of your household
- The name of any hospital or clinics you or members of your household use
- A list of any medications you or members of your household use
- A list of any other medical needs that are important to you or a member of your household
- Contact us today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 518.462.6138 and ask to speak to a Healthcare Enrollment Coordinator.
- Men’s Group: MONDAYS 7pm, The Center (332 Hudson Ave, Albany)For gay, bisexual, transgender, same-gender-loving, queer, and questioning men to talk about coming out, dating, relationships, sex, religion and other issues affecting men’s communities (Ages 18+). For more information, contact the Pride Center at 518.462.6138.
- Women’s Group: THE 2nd WEDNESDAY OF EVERY MONTH FROM 6-8pm, the Center (332 Hudson Ave, Albany) For gay, bisexual, transgender, same-gender-loving, queer, and questioning women to talk about coming out, dating, relationships, sex, religion and other issues affecting women’s communities (Ages 18+). For more information, contact the Pride Center at 518.462.6138.
- Support Group for Family and Friends of LGBTQ People:
Every 2nd Tues of the month at 7PM at the First Unitarian Society of Schenectady, 1221 Wendell Ave, Schenectady, NY. A support group for family and friends of LGBTQ people wanting resources and guidance on how to best support themselves and their loved ones. For more information, contact the Pride Center at 518.462.6138 or Julia Helfman at 518.372.9911.
The Rainbow Café offers a cozy meeting space for special events. We currently host regular events such as Game Night, Movie Night, GOOD Sundays Open Mic Night and Supper Sunday. The Rainbow Café was the first program of the Pride Center when we opened our doors in 1970. Staffed by an amazing team of volunteers, the Café is a great resource if you are looking for information, to get connected to the Pride Center’s programs and services, or if you just moved to the area. If you’re interested in using the space at Rainbow Café for a regularly occurring event idea, please contact Rosy Galvan: rgalvan[at]capitalpridecenter[dot]org. Below you’ll find a list of our current Rainbow Café events!
1st Sunday of the month: GOOD Sundays Open Mic Night, 6-9pm
2nd Friday of the month: Game Night, 6-9pm
3rd Friday of the month: Movie Night, 6-9pm
Last Sunday of the month: Supper Sunday, 5-9pm
Providing a safe and welcoming environment for community members in recovery to meet is part of the Pride Center’s commitment to promote the well being of LGBTQ people.
The following groups meet weekly at the Pride Center, 332 Hudson Ave:
- Alcoholics Anonymous, All Genders : Every Sunday 7 PM
- Alcoholics Anonymous, Men Only : Every Monday 7:30PM
- Narcotics Anonymous: Every Thursday night 7:30PM
* These groups are not programs of the Pride Center, they are independent groups unaffiliated with any larger organization.