The Pride Center of the Capital Region delivers hundreds of trainings and seminars each year to schools, businesses, community organizations and health and human service providers on a range of issues relating to the LGBT community. For more information on bringing the Pride Center into your organization, please fill out the Speaker Request Form below and someone will be in touch.
We can conduct trainings and educational sessions on the following topics, and we are willing to customize a training to fit your needs.
- LGBT 101 This interactive training addresses sexual orientation and gender identity, the messages we receive and how those messages paint our experience. Learn about specific challenges that LGBT people face like coming out, healthy development, accessing appropriate care and navigating other systems that the LGBT community have historically been excluded from. Issues of heterosexism, homophobia and gender phobia will be explored.
- Trans 101 This training is devoted to understanding the “T” in the LGBT population. Despite the increasing prevalence of the term Transgender, there are still misconceptions and misunderstandings. This workshop will discuss myths and stereotypes about Transgender people and explore ways to better support the Transgender population.
- LGBT in the Workplace- This workshop will work with your business environment in order to create a safe workplace for all employees, including LGBT people. When people feel valued and included in their workplace, productivity and long term commitment increases. We have worked with many corporations on becoming more inclusive in order to attract and retain employees, and we have worked with the Capital District Human Resources Association- Diversity Council.
- LGBT Seniors Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) seniors are an increasing population, and can face different challenges than their heterosexual counterparts. Social isolation, accessing culturally competent healthcare are just a few of the many issues encountered. This training helps service providers understand the unique needs of this population, and approaches to best serve this population.
- LGBT Youth Youth are coming out as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) younger now than ever. Studies are showing that harassment, bullying and intolerance are creating hostile environments for LGBT youth to learn and grow. This training highlights challenges LGBT young people face and how to create a more supportive environment.
- Supporting LGBT Families- Working with LGBT families with children brings specific opportunities to agencies and workplaces, considering the legal and cultural landscape these couples often have to travel through. This workshop will help you understand these challenges and work to customize your agency or workplace to become more welcoming and culturally competent for LGBT families.
- LGBT in the Medical Establishment- This training will empower attendees with the tools to be able to provide competent care to LGBT patients. Various issues that LGBT people face when interacting with the different aspects of the medical realm will be covered as well as specific risk factors that occur within the LGBT community.
- Crystal Meth/Substance Abuse Prevention in the LGBT community- This training looks at the unique challenges the LGBT community faces in regard to substance abuse and specifically crystal Methamphetamine. By examining both the impact of substance abuse as well as specific risk factors for the LGBT community, this workshop will equip participants with the information to be able to work more competently with the LGBT population and substance abuse issues.
Trainings specifically for High School Gay-Straight Alliances:
- Leadership development- Learn how to capitalize on the experiences of past GSA leaders, and create a plan for the future success of the GSA
- Ally Training- many people have the best of intentions coming to a GSA, but do not know how to turn their good intentions into action. We will help you energize and recruit for a more successful GSA!
- Creating safe schools- Learn how to use effective storytelling techniques to create a safer climate for all students in your school.
- Comprehensive Sex Ed- An opportunity for students to learn about safer sex, infections and ask questions
- Transgender inclusion- Find space for the “T” in your GSA
We have conducted trainings, workshops, or information sessions for:
- Albany County Chemical Dependency Treatment and Planning Providers
- Albany Medical College
- BOCES /Capital Program
- Capital Region Trauma Services Coalition
- Cobleskill College
- College of St. Rose
- Council for Prevention of Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fulton Montgomery Community College
- Fulton Montgomery Mental Health Association
- Hope House
- Jewish Family Services
- Mental Health Empowerment Project’s Annual Regional Conference
- Mohawk Opportunities
- Natural Helpers Conference
- Northeast Career Planning
- Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- Schoharie County Peacemakers
- State Farm Insurance
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- University at Albany
- Voices of the Heart
- Whitney Young Health Center
And many more organizations and businesses in our 9 county service area!
Click here for a Speaker Request Form